Friday, January 11, 2008

A Barrel of Trouble!

So I've been quadriplegic for seven years now this November, and I've had my little helper monkey friend, Truckles, for the majority of that time. He is a whiz at the microwave and is so gentle brushing my teeth, especially after I developed gingivitis. He is truly "a great mind in a furry friend". But... and I'm sure you guessed there would be a "but!"

It is nearly impossible to keep him from seeing "Monkey Shines"!

The movie was released a couple decades ago, apparently, but I only became aware of it in 2005 when my dad left a copy propped up as a practical joke on a high shelf in his guest house where I live. I watch a lot of movies as you might imagine but I don't watch much horror because I have enough trouble sleeping as it is LOL! When Truckles brought it down to me and I read the back I grew terrified! The movie is about a helper monkey who becomes a killer! She uses her power over her companion to kill those he loves and manipulate him.

Now, Truckles has always been completely tender and loving. He even tries to make me little greeting cards out of my manila envelopes and leaves them on my chest. But I can also tell that he is highly influenced by things we watch on TV. (Don't ask me how I can tell - "A mother just knows!") "No problem", I thought, "I'll just have Truckles throw it out." Which I think he did. (I didn't even like the case to be lying around. I know Truckles can't read but some of the pictures on the box were just chilling!) But then it started showing up on Pay-Per-View. Now, because of my medication I end up sleeping a good portion of the day and Truckles is allowed to use the TV (quietly!) when I am asleep. In the last couple years I've also allowed him to order himself Pay-per-View movies if they are non-premium (i.e. $4.99 and under.) I think he deserves it. "After all," I joke with him, "you do most of the heavy lifting around here!"

Now, it is possible to block a movie, but of course I can only manipulate the remote and enter a password with Truckles's help. Thanks to that g-ddamn movie, I'm already living in the movie! I had the cable removed but now Truckles has grown restless and makes too much noise when I sleep. I guess I don't know what to do. Comments appreciated!

2 comments:

BigBoyBlogger said...

Did you ever stop to consider how this little "person" feels? i think it's telling of your own self-conceitedness that you blame the problem on your helper. Sure, he is there to help you, but did you ever consider how you could help him? Try that before bitching and moaning...
BB

tisher and adam said...

I am not really sure what you can mean! The blame rests squarely on the makers of this movie! Truckles is an angel but he is also AN ANIMAL. Too many "helpees" forget this distinction and allow themselves to believe that their monkeys are people who can make "people-level" judgments! This is an error!

Truckles should not be watching any films that he cannot understand, regardless of this film's particular content its "R" rating would make it off limits anyway! I must stress that Truckles is not a person! NOT A PERSON! That is why he may not eat people food or wear people clothing besides sun visors and the feeding mitt.

Grow up.

-Brandon