Sunday, June 10, 2007

There was a noise inside my home

and it was keeping my awake at night, and during the day when I wanted to nap. I thought it might be coming from my guitar so I put it in its case after I cut the strings off. One of the biggest strings has metal on it and it almost whipped into my eye, so you can understand that I was pretty mad when I found the noise had not diminished at all. In my anger I reopened the case and smashed the guitar to pieces holding it by the neck. This didn't help the noise, but you can appreciate my minor relief when I saw that some of the wood still formed the hole. The sound hole that the strings go across. Of course, I thought, if the sound hole is still intact, sound can easily still come from the guitar! It was easy work to break up the hole, and even sort of fun which kept me from getting too discouraged at the end when I found the sound (a sort of high whine) had not diminished. At this point it was not much more work to bury the guitar (pieces) out back even though I had only slight hopes this would help anything. After refilling the hole and putting rocks over it I was unsurprised that the whine continued inside the house. I was at a loss of what to do now as my house contained nothing else except the rock I had taken inside to finally smash apart the sound hole. I put the rock back outside but of course this was not the variable I was looking for. I paced and tried to think of what else might be the cause. Was there another guitar under the floorboards? Possibly one left by a previous resident? If that was so, shouldn't it have been buzzing ever since I moved in? I remembered that I had used scissors to cut the guitar strings but then I remembered that I had also buried them outside with the guitar, they weren't in the house. The house has no doorbell. Or even room next to the front door for one to be installed, so it couldn't be faulty wiring or something. But the noise is sort of getting quieter so I guess I must be doing something right.

No comments: